Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Jerel Gilard - Blog Response 7

Similar to Sarah Vowell, I have had my fair share of instruments because of my love for music. Growing up I've experimented with multiple instruments such as the clarinet, flute, drums, and the guitar. The guitar is the only instrument that I actually stuck with, after awhile the rest would become boring to me. I convinced my mother to allow me to take guitar lessons at a guitar shop named David's Guitar Loft. There I learned how to read and play along with sheet music. After the first day I fell in love with the guitar and knew I would never get bored with it. The guitar gave me a rush every time I strum a string playing along with one of my favorite songs.
After a few months my mother realized that I had really loved playing guitar. Especially when she would bust into my room to tell me to go to sleep because I'd be up to 3 a.m. practicing a song until I got it right. Other than the early morning disruption my mother and the rest of my family would love to hear me play and I could never go anywhere with someone finding out that I play. Once I really became a good player my mother would go around telling everyone in sight even if they didn't care. To me playing the guitar really kind of brought me and my mother closer. she wanted to hear me play and I wanted to put on a good show for her because her smile and satisfaction meant the world to me. I knew she was proud.

*********************

In high school many people judged me by the people I hung with, the way I carried myself and the way I dressed. I had a handful of people I would truly call a friend and the other people were just associates. Don't get me wrong I am a very friendly person, but I've learned that you can't trust everyone you meet. I carried myself differently then my peers at my school. Every dude there either was a wanna-be gang member, into drugs, an athlete that thought they were better than everyone else and/or either quiet and to themselves. Regardless of what category you fell in about 90% of them were rude and no one really like them because of their attitude. When I first start attending Webster Groves High School I was automatically out into the stuck up, rude, probably on some kind of drug category. I stayed to myself mostly all the time unless I was with friends and if you didn't hang out with me you'd never know the person I am. These assumptions led people to believe I was the typical male at my high school but little did they know I clearly stood out. I would help anyone who needed it, I never tried any type of drug or alcohol, and I never dressed in an inappropriate manner.
I have to admit I have judged someone on their appearance, I mean who doesn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment